Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My male shih tzu is now 14 years old. He has a heart murmur,

Customer Question

My male shih tzu is now 14 years old. He has a heart murmur, is suffering from Lymes disease, although not on medication currently, and now has an ulcer in his left eye that has only 1 layer of skin holding the eye in. He is currently on 3 meds to try
to help reduce the inflammation and pain. The Dr, we went to an emergency clinic because we were out of state. She recommended the removal of his eye. My question is; will the medication that he is currently on, actually help cure the issue to the extent that
he can live without fear of the eye rupturing? With his age and condition, I don't feel that the surgery is an option but I also don't want him to be in any pain, which i know the eye rupturing will be. I'm wondering if without the surgery, is having him put
to sleep, sooner rather than later, is the best solution. We travel out of state almost every weekend on business, and yes they travel with us, but it also leaves us in a position where if something severe should happen, we might not be able to get him the
help he needs as quickly as he needs it. The meds he is on now are: 1% Atropine Sulfate Ophthalmic Ointment USP- 1-2 x a day Vetropolycin-3 x a day and a serum that they mixed up that I do not have the name of. 3 x a day
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. It is possible for the eye to heal well enough to decrease concern for rupturing, but in a lot of cases, it can take time. Surgically removing the eye or even doing a corneal graft or third eyelid flap would be the best options for healing, but if surgery is not an option, then there is no reason to try medical treatment at this point. I do think it would be a good idea to get a referral to see a veterinary ophthalmologist to see what they can offer medically. It may help to get him on an eye medication called MURO 128. It is over the counter and can help to reduce fluid buildup in the cornea and remove some of the necrotic cornea (not as good as surgery, but it is something). You may also want to talk to your vet about autogenous serum eye drops. This involves drawing blood, spinning it down to remove the serum and using the serum as an eye drop. It is full of stuff to help promote healing and control infection. I have used it for many bad ulcers, and it can help really well. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.