Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 13 yr old male sweet docile Doberman recently stopped

Customer Question

My 13 yr old male sweet docile Doberman recently stopped eating. Sometimes he will I'll eat but only once a day a very small amount. Although his stools are formed and healthy as always. However our vet did an ultra sound and it is showing a mass in his intestine. They said his heart, liver and spleen looked good. He doesn't appear in pain but he IS a very stoic dog. Any opinions on what my course of action should be. Money is not an issue for me. I want to help this sweet dog anyway possible.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am so sorry to hear about Indy. There is not an easy decision here. If you are willing to go all out, then surgical resection of the mass, biopsy to determine the type of mass and follow up with an oncologist for possible chemotherapy and radiation therapy would be the next steps. Granted, that is assuming that there are no other medical issues that he has, and potential cancer has not spread to other organs. With that being said, with a 13 year old Dobie, you have to realize that he has already outlived his life expectancy. Even with all that treatment, he may only live a few more months anyway from either inability to fully treat the cancer, return of cancer or some other ailment. Just because we do have that treatment at our disposal doesn't mean it is the best option for him. If he was my dog, I would probably elect for conservative treatment with pain medications and steroids. That should at least make him feel better and increase his appetite. It all really depends on the type of tumor because they all behave differently, but I would feel that no matter what, my expectations for long term survival would be poor. If money is not an issue, it is always a good idea to ask for a referral to a veterinary oncologist to at least get a second opinion. There is nothing wrong with that. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.