Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

G'Day, my pug is six years of age. She is salivating

Customer Question

G'Day, my pug is six years of age. She is salivating chronically and whining when she swallows. I'm going to assume, as I am a fellow sufferer of gastroesophageal reflux that this maybe the issue. It's a public holiday here at the moment and I can't get her to a Vet. Is there anything I can give, or do for her until tomorrow to ease it a bit?
Thank-you and regards,
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is also drinking a lot of water, her inoculations and all other treatments (worming etc.) are up to date
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Matt, the two most common over the counter antacids we recommend for dogs are famotidine (Pepcid) dosed at 20 mg/kg twice daily and omeprazole (Prilosec) dosed at 10 mg once daily for a dog of Sabrina's size. You might have PepcidTwo in Oz which is OK and can be dosed by the famotidine in that product. I regret that I'm not allowed to communicate with customers by phone. Please stay in this conversation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank-you Doc, would you know if any of this is available at a human pharmacy or if there is any type of vegetable or something I can get from the supermarket to make her comfortable until her vet is available tomorrow?

Yes, as mentioned above these are over the counter human drugs and should be available in your nearest druggist. No, it's best to fast such a patient for at least 12 hours but leave water down. I have to leave my computer for the night but promise to reply in the morning if need be.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All good Doc, thank-you very much for your help, Sabrina is like my child, she is more human than dog. i don't like to see er this way thankyou again and i will do as recommended. Cheers ***** ***** regards,
Matt.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

Hi Matt,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sabrina. How is everything going?