Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a dalmatian that seems to develop this skin

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Andy, I have a dalmatian that seems to develop this skin irritation on only one side of his body. I went to the vet about two months ago for them to look at it and she put him on two rounds of prednisone that seemed to clear it up, but it's back again and it seems so itchy for him. It's just red and patchy and looks like it's on the surface of the skin. It's also spread to his inner thighs on his back legs. Any idea on what I can do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. If he responded well to prednisone, there is most likely an underlying allergy. I would talk to your vet about putting him on something long term for allergies, such as Atopica or Apoquel (if your vet can get it). It may also help to get him allergy tested and consider putting him on allergy hyposensitization injections. That is the only true way to treat the source of an environmental allergy. If this is a year round issue, I may consider a possible food allergy, so it may help to discuss with your vet about putting him on a dietary food trial to rule out food allergies. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hi Cody,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John