Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

I was just wondering if I could get your opinion? I have a 7

Customer Question

Hey I was just wondering if I could get your opinion? I have a 7 year old Italian Mastiff. She is had a few fatty tumors I guess that the vet wasn't too concerned about. She now has one about the size of a racquetball. This one is full of fluid where as the other ones are hard. How much of a concern is this and is it possible for me to drain it myself? I love my dog but I don't have the funds to take her into the vet. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Dr. RB and I am a licensed veterinarian. Fatty tumors (called lipomas) are often soft masses that are freely moveable and not attached to the underlying tissue. Firm masses are of a little more of a concern as some firm mass are malignant and locally invasive. A mass that is very thin walled and obviously full of fluid is either a seroma or an abscess. Honestly, I would not recommend attempting to aspirate or drain this mass yourself as this could introduce infection if not done sterilely. If the mass is large enough for it to stretch the skin beyond its capacity, it does have the potential to rupture. I would recommend calling local veterinarians around you and explaining this situation. An appointment to drain and treat a mass would be much less costly than the cost of surgery if this mass were to rupture. I hope this helps you..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the fatty to immerse are all within the loose skin not attached any muscle tissue. The fluid filled one is the same not attached to any muscle it's all within the skin. As you know masters have a lot of skin so I don't think it's going to rupture. I can move it side to side 4 inches. In your opinion what would it cost to have this taken care of? I'm tight on cash and over the past few months it has gotten bigger and bigger. Your help is much appreciated
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You there? I meant to say all the fatty tumors are not attached to muscle. This phone just says what it wants to say. Lol

Hello again;) If it is freely moveable, doesn't appear red or inflamed, isn't found in an area that she is bothering her when she walks or can traumatize it, I would continue to watch it for any changes in size, color or appearance. If there is fluid found within the mass, most veterinarian could see examine it and provide treatment for 100-300 dollars (depending on your location) unless surgical removal would be warranted (due to amount of free space that will be present after draining the mass and its likelihood to re-occur) then the cost would increase.

Hello again, I hope your little friend is feeling better..If my advice helped, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take the time to give my response a positive rating? This would allow me to receive compensation for my expertise and time assisting you and your pet.. Much thanks