DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

We started our 11 year old lab on carprofen. She tries to

Customer Question

We started our 11 year old lab on carprofen. She tries to get up but can't. Seems she can't get her legs under her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help.im assuming you are wondering what might cause her to be unable to get her legs under her. Has she had any X-rays done of her back and pelvis and hind limbs? There are a couple of things in her back that could cure her to have extreme hind leg weakness. One is essentially arthritis of the back. Over time bony changes in the vertebrae that make up the back will put pressure on the spinal cord and cause intermittent or complete weakness. Can she stand if you lift her up? Or are th legs totally limp? If you pinch her toes can she pull her leg away? If the legs go more torwards being totally limp then rather than arthritis, she may have a slipped disc. Although we think of those kind of back problems in long backed dogs like dachshunds, it can happen in other breeds especially as the dog ages. Your vet can look for these things on back X-rays.

Finally....it could just be very bad hip or lower limb arthritis ...which I am assuming has been diagnosed based on the treatments the dog is already on. Especially arthritis in the hip can make it very hard to rise from laying down. You may need to help her rise using a towel under her belly. And even support her while walking if needed. The adequan and carprofen can help but can't fix arthritis. If th carprofen doesn't seem to be helping enough you can talk to your vet tomorrow about other pain med options like Previcox or Metacam or adding in Tramadol. Sometimes one works better than another for a particular dog. Unfortunately there are no additional meds you can give at this time as dogs are very sensitive to these types of drugs and if you give too many, it will cause GI ulceration. Support her the best you can and help her get outside and get to food and water until you go see your vet tomorrow. Then see about the X-rays or adjusting the medications. Taking care of an older dog can be tough. You are doing great! I hope this helps. Best wishes