Dr. Derek
Dr. Derek, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Mixed animal veterinarian for nine years
88281037

I have a 15 year old beagle that's having a problem peeing

Customer Question

Hi
I have a 15 year old beagle that's having a problem peeing in the house. We took her to the vet abut 6 months ago and did all the tests. Only problem the vet could see is her kidney levels were elevated. I put her on a supplement and a couple months later those levels are fine. But still she is peeing the house at least once a day. The vet says its part of getting old. I can understand that but the dog has never had an accident at night. She can sleep 8-10 hours and then just go outside with no accidents. Is there some kind of medicine I can give her that will stop this. I know the dog is getting older but I'm sure there's something that can be done. I'm not ready to give up on her yet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Derek replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I hope to be able to help you this evening. If you have ruled out renal insufficiency, infection and other disorders related to the kidneys, there are a few other avenues you might consider exploring.

Firstly, I would recommend a complete blood chemistry panel and CBC if the results from your previous are more than a couple months old. If these values are within normal accepted ranges, suggest that your veterinarian perform a complete urinalysis and urine culture. These tests are best performed when urine is collected via cystocentesis (aspirating the urine from the bladder with a syringe and needle). The veterinarian may do this with or without the aid of ultrasound to guide placement of the needle. If these results show any sign of infection, treatment for a urinary tract infection may be warranted. However, if they are negative for signs of abnormal urinary tract bacteria and if she is void of other clinical signs, treatment may be withheld.

If this is the case, a common condition seen in older dogs is known as urethral sphincter atony. In these cases the animal loses control of their bladder due to an inability to maintain a closed urethral sphincter. This condition may be managed with the use of phenylpropanolamine. This drug was once commonly used in human medicine in various prescription and OTC medications. Its use is now limited to veterinary medicine. This has proven very useful in managing urinary incontinence when the cause is due to atony of the urethral sphincter.

I hope you find this helpful and I welcome any further questions.