Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

6 month old puppy has had watery diarrhea days. Yesterday,

Customer Question

6 month old puppy has had watery diarrhea for 2 days. Yesterday, she ate and behaved normally. She's a shepherd pit mix. She chews on everything. She has a lot of appropriate chew toys but I take things like wood away from her. 3-4 days ago, she ate poop that my 5 year had in the toilet (didn't flush.) She was spayed almost 3 weeks ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your question about Ivy. Do you feel that she's still acting / behaving normal today despite the diarrhea? Has she had any vomiting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She seems normal so far and behaved normally yesterday... No vomiting...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did I lose you?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry I had an emergency come up at work and have to opt out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay..
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

I am here to assist at this time. My name is*****

Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about Ivy's diarrhea. Is Ivy current on her parvo vaccinations, fecal testings and dewormings?

Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

It looks like this is a duplicate question. If you need further answers, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I get more info about the deworming and why that would cause watery diarrhea.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you can. So the deworming process itself would not cause the diarrhea. The diarrhea would occur due to GI parasites present that the deworming medication is treating. In the process of treating worms or parasites, the worms die and this can change the consistency of the stool. Not all parasite eggs are found in one given fecal sample at a time so that is why routine deworming of puppies is important. If your dog was exposed to water or other dogs, testing for giardia is also important. This is not detectable on routine fecal testing and is a parasite that causes watery diarrhea and can be passed to humans. The parasite is so small you cannot see it in the feces without a specific test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was spayed 3 weeks ago. Could it be an infection?
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

There can be diarrhea after a spay but it would be due to anesthesia and would show up sooner than 3 weeks post spay. If there was an infection inside the body due to poor surgery technique, she would also be showing signs of vomiting and pain when her belly is touched. Does she have any of those signs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No... She's behaving normally except I notice that she drags her belly when she get off the couch or sometimes on the floor...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's training so we give her lots of treats... We try different ones so she won't get bored...
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

Diarrhea can be caused by many different things but one of those is a change in diet or treats. If the diet was not switched from old to new over a gradual time period, it can cause the stomach and intestines to be inflamed. This inflammation can cause diarrhea as well as blood in the diarrhea. The same type of bloody diarrhea can occur from stress. We call this stress colitis.

This condition is managed with bland diet and medication. The bland diet can be cooked at home with bland, white chicken breast with NO SEASONING or lean cooked ground beef NO SEASONING and plain white rice. You can also use a prescription bland diet such and I/D, W/D or Royal canin gastrointestinal formula. I recommend small, frequent meals, to get the GI tract back on track. Do not continue to feed more food too quickly as this can cause a setback. Once the diarrhea is resolved, you can slowly mix in more of the dog food and mix out some of the rice mixture. This transition needs to be over a few days so we can watch for diarrhea to return.

Sometimes diet is enough to help but other times pets need a medication called metronidazole or metronidazole and amoxicillin to stop the bloody diarrhea. This needs to be prescribe from a veterinarian.

If further signs develop such as vomiting, decreased energy level or no appetite, further tests need to be completed to be sure something more severe is not going on, such as pancreatitis, something foreign stuck in the GI tract, etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's no blood in the diarrhea.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But it's very watery.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

My best recommendation then is to have a giardia test completed and if negative, have the puppy started on Metronidazole which your vet will need to prescribe. We cannot prescribe through the website.

Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

Do you think you would be able to have that done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks...
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

What other questions can I answer for you at this time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks:-)
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.