Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Can i use rimadyl ear infection? I have some left overs from

Customer Question

Can i use rimadyl for dog ear infection?
I have some left overs from last visit to vet and my buddy is starting to develop and ear infection can i use rimadyl 100mg for this thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem is in one ear only, it has some discharge should i clean?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

Friend, rimadyl is an anti inflammatory medication and may not do much for an ear infection. Your dog will need a topical medication from your family veterinarian. If you are not able to get him to see a vet this is what you can try:

1- Mix in a cup 1/3 white vinegar and 2/3 warm water. Clean the ear of all discharge using cotton and this solution of water with vinegar. If the ear is very irritated, clean with plain water, once the irritation improves use the ear cleaning solution.

2- After cleaning the ear as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin.

Note: Better option is having family vet dispense a topical medication for the ears.

3- Do the above twice a day for 10-14 days. Always clean the ear as above before applying the topical antibiotic.

4- If you do not see significant improvement in 2-3 days after doing the above I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost if cost is a concern.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Max. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter