Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our little 20-pound dog just ate a Little Debbie Swiss Roll.

Customer Question

our little 20-pound dog just ate a Little Debbie Swiss Roll. Should I be concerned about the chocolate?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you give me an idea of how much did he eat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are 12 rolls in a box. they are twin-wrapped. She ate one of the twin-wrapped rolls. Total weight of entire package is 1 lb. 4 oz. calorie count of two-roll package is 420 fat content: 170 They list 2% soy flour, cocoa, soybean oil, eggs, corn starch, whey, plus other things
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the 2% listing was for each of the ingredients above
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have hydrogen peroxide 3% in a spray bottle, but it says for external use only
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

To make sure I have the correct information, can you look at the box and see if it has the weight of each roll? Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, I found the information. The serving size of two rolls is 62 grams. I don't believe this will be fatal or toxic for Raven. We need to remember that the 62g is not pure chocolate but the entire content of flour, eggs, corn starch, etc. Chocolate toxicity and symptoms are very dose dependent. Symptoms can range from gastrointestinal symptoms to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias.

I would recommend you keep an eye on Raven for the day (24 hours). If she becomes hyperactive, muscle tremors, changes in respiration, etc. have her checked immediately by ER veterinarian, these are symptoms that could progress to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. If no symptoms after 24 hours (especially the first 12 hours), she will be fine.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Raven. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter