Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a yorkie's about 7 years old and has been throwing up

Customer Question

I have a yorkie's about 7 years old and has been throwing up all night with extremely lose diarrhea. She is also winning and very sad looking which is unlike her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can she keep water down?

What does her vomit and diarrhea look like? Any blood?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's not keeping water down her poop is very loos and I thought it looked like blood but my husband says it's not but ver watery. I pick her up and she seems to be in some discomfort. Not sure if she could of gotten into anything, she's really a good baby and doesn't pick up stuff she see on the floor but she does run around freely in the back yard.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now if she is that nauseous that she cannot even keep water down, we do really need to tread with care with Cookie. This is because dogs that nauseous often need injectable anti-vomiting treatment from their vets to at least settle them enough to then use home care. Therefore, I will outline some care we can try but we may need to rest her stomach for a few hours first or have her vet at least initially treat her for this severe GI upset. Just to note, if we can rule out harmful ingestions (since she is an older and hopefully wiser dog), then our main concerns here would be a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, inflammatory GI issue (ie IBD), or this could potentially be secondary to a more systemic (ie organ, metabolic, etc) underlying issue.

So, once we rest her stomach and she is a bit more settled, we can start her on an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be:

* Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Again, if she cannot keep this down due to her nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Since dehydration is a real risk here, we need to keep an eye on Cookie's hydration status. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture as I asked above, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a"skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE(http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Finally, as long as there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly useis Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p).This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, FastBalance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon)would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing her upset GI.

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger this GI upset we are seeing with Cookie. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours (since she is so small); then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach and get her back feeling like herself.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Cookie. How is everything going?
nekovet