Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our dog had at least 2 observed seizures today within a span

Customer Question

Our dog had at least 2 observed seizures today within a span of 6hrs and perhaps 3-4 un observed within the last 24hrs incl the ones we know. For the last 3 months we've witnessed 2 episodes within a day at least every 3-4 weeks. He's a Maltese mix born around June 2014 and weighs around 17.2lbs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

You did hear correctly, lorazepam is in the same family as Valium and therefore can stop seizures. Dose-wise, it is administered at a rate of 0.01 – 0.045 mg per pound of a dog's body weight up to three times daily as needed. Otherwise, your mainstay here will be to keep him calm, quiet, and in a dimly lit room. Our aim is reduce all stimuli we can to reduce the risk of overstimulation causing seizures. Of course, if you do this and he doesn't settle, then he really needs to be hospitalized for seizure control and fluids.

Finally, if Parker is having seizures this frequently (more then one every 6 months), I do need to warn you that he needs to be seen and the root cause diagnosed. If he is an epileptic (a common reason for young dogs to have chronic/frequent seizures), then there are medications he can be started on to reduce his risk of seizures. Of course, if something else is found (ie liver issues infection in the brain, etc), then addressing those often will help settle the seizures for them.

Please take care,

Dr. B.