Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is very weak he is eating drinking but can't hold s

Customer Question

my dog is very weak he is eating drinking but can't hold his head up and he walks like he is dizzy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he stumbles when he walks he drinks water eats food eats more than he drinks
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How long has Champ been showing these signs?

Any chance that he has eaten something he should not have (ie chemicals, plants, antifreeze, human medications, etc)?

What color are his gums (pink or pale/white)?

Any changes to his breathing? Urination or stools?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you Dr.B
ok so about a week ago he ate a baggie i walked in the house found three piles of throw up in the third pile was the baggie
there was nothing in the baggie but there was a hole in it so he could have ate something after that he showed signs of improvement but then today he went completely down hill seems to be worse now than he was before
ok so he has been showing signs about a week
he could have ate something bad
his gums are pink
his breathing is kind of fast more or less
its been 24 hours since his last stool and he won't urinate
but he seems to weak to even get up to urinate he won't stand up on his own he eats little drinks little
i picked him up took him outside so he can urinate but he just fell down when he did not have my support
he weighs about 100 pounds the humane society said that he can have gum disease that was quite awhile ago
i don't know if that has anything to do with it but thank you plse get back to me asap trying to find a vet i can take him to now but money is a problem so any help will help
thank you DR.B
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he did urinate with in the last 24 hours thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now without know what was in the baggie, we are in a bit of a difficult situation. This is because most items he would have eaten should have run their course or have come to a head in those first 24-48 hours after he ate it. To see such delayed signs and worsening now, just makes worried that Champ either had another baggie (and the contents have been releasing slowly over this period) or that we have more significant damage (ie kidney or liver damage) from what he initially ate. Therefore, this is unfortunately a real worry. Especially as his lack of stool despite eating raises concerns of a possible blockage as well.

In this case, I do appreciate funds are a concern. Still, this is a situation that one unfortunately can not address much at home. We need to keep him drinking +/- syringe fluids (he needs to be taking in at least ~2 liters per day based on his weight). If he is straining to pass stool, we can try adding fiber (ie a spoonful of canned pumpkin or all bran) +/- a GI lubricant (ie cat hair ball treatment, miralax, lactulose, etc) to his meals to try and help him pass what may be caught or any brewing constipation. Otherwise, we'd really want a local vet to have a feel of him to determine if there is a blockage +/- bloods to see if we have a toxicity/organ damage situation, and start symptomatic care to help address his weakness and help flush this out to stabilize him.

Normal
0
Now since you noted funds are a concern, I did want to leave you with some options that could help. If you have a VCA or Banfield veterinary hospital near you, then you might consider taking advantage of their free first consult offers. You can find vouchers for this via:

VCA: (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer).

Banfield : (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon).

Otherwise, you could consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html) or ASPCA’s (https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills). Both have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations, that can keep down costs and surely will be willing to help Champ through this serious situation.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Champ. How is everything going?
nekovet