Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a 9 year old Bichon Frise. Several months ago she

Customer Question

I have a 9 year old Bichon Frise. Several months ago she developed a very distended stomach. I took her to the vet for her Rabies shot and I mentioned this to them and they just said to keep an eye on her. Months later she still has a very hard distended stomach (like the starving African children you see on TV). She is still very active, but eats an enormous amount of food the last 3 weeks. Please advise.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you ...

While I cannot diagnose Juliette's problem via the internet I can make the following general comments :

If she has a distinctly distended stomach then this would be quite a cause for concern. You see if her stomach appears noticeably distended and stays that way then there is a chance that you are dealing with a symptom called ascities. Ascities is by definition an abnormal build up of fluid in the abdominal cavity and this will give a distinct bloated abdomen type appearance and this is by no means unusual.

However be aware that ascities is a symptom not a disease. If I wanted to list some of the more common causes of ascities it would be :

1. Heart disease.

2. Liver disease including tumours

3. Kidney diseases.

4. Protein losing enteropathies. { Like the unfortunate African children on TV but rare in dogs }

Given the above is accurate all you can do is to have Juliette examined by your vet again as soon as you can arrange it as it may now be easier to diagnose what is going on. I am sorry I cannot suggest any home remedies here, there is just nothing you can do on your own where ascities is suspected. Where the excess appetite fits in I am not sure but certainly the distended stomach is a cause for concern and should be checked over.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Juliette is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her distended stomach ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.