Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

I noticed my shih tzu has been limping off and on a week...

Customer Question

I noticed my shih tzu has been limping off and on for over a week... thought maybe she jumped off the couch wrong or something but then just the other day my Lab started limping. Ive checked both dogs paws and nothing seems out of the ordinary... now I have noticed one of my chickens is now limping. What the heck is going on?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Hi there!

It's quite unlikely that the three of them would have the same thing causing their limping; there is no infectious agent that can pass between dogs and birds causing pain/limping (however, infectious can cause limping in dogs and can affect more than one individual at a time). Even though it seems odd and related, I think all three are affected by something separate. I couldn't comment on the chicken (I don't see birds), but the two dogs could have sustained injuries or become infected with something together - one possibility of a shared infection is a tick borne illness - ticks can carry bacterial diseases that can cause joint disease... Even if you've not seen ticks on them, it's still a possibility.

You could given the three of them a couple of days to see if they get better, but if not, I would take them in to be evaluated by a vet and see what's going on. It's impossible to say what's wrong without seeing them, unfortunately.

Please let me know if you have additional questions!

Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Myley. How is everything going?
Dr. Gene