Derek Caudill
Derek Caudill,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Animal Care Hospital
88281037

Our Great Dane is 8 years old. He seems to be getting

Customer Question

Our Great Dane is 8 years old. He seems to be getting increasingly skinny yet he is eating 3cups of dog food twice a day. We don't see him throw up but we do hear him whimper while and after he eats. His normal weight is 120- and if I had to guess I would say he's 90-100lbs now. He is still excited when he sees us and gets excited when it's meal time. We haven't taken him to the vet yet because we are unable to afford a hefty bill. Not sure what to do. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Derek Caudill replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Caudill, a mixed animal veterinarian from Kentucky. I hope to give you a few ideas on how to proceed with Kane.

First of all, I must recommend that he see a veterinarian in your area for a complete physical examination and possibly diagnostics. There are many problems that may lead to the signs that you describe. When addressing the issue of weight loss, we must consider a wide array of possibilities ranging from intestinal parasite to metabolic disease processes. These issues may easily be tested by performing a fecal examination and routine bloodwork. I would recommend a complete blood count (CBC) and comprehensive chemistry panel. Most over the counter dewormers may be safely administered in dogs without performing a fecal exam prior to treatment. However, the issue lies in knowing what parasites your dog may have and whether they are covered in the treatment spectrum of the OTC product. That is why a fecal examination is a valuable tool in proceeding with treatment. Other metabolic diseases would likely manifest themselves with more detailed clinical signs.

My assumption based on your description of Kane's whimpering would be that there is some painfulness associated with eating (chewing and/or swallowing). This might indicate some form of dental, gingival or periodontal disease. Abscessed tooth roots, receding gums, fractured teeth and oral ulcerations are just a few of the many possibilities to consider in this case.

Ultimately, I feel that my best advice is to try to make a way to have him checked out 1 on 1. A thorough physical exam my reveal a glaringly obvious sign that has gone unnoticed.

Please let me know if I might be of further assistance and best of luck with Kane.

Do you have any further questions regarding Kane? I would be glad to assist you in whatever way that I can. If you have no further questions, I would ask that you please rate my response. Thank you.