Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

Our 3 mo old lab has a very large swollen area on her face

Customer Question

Our 3 mo old lab has a very large swollen area on her face beside her right eye. The swollen area is hard and has been there for4 days. Our vet has taken a x-ray and there is no bone issues. The dog has been taking children's benadryl and prednisone four days and it has not helped. The dog is acting normal and appears to have no pain. We bought this dog from a breeder 5 days ago and we are very concerned. Thank you for your help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr RB and I am a small animal veterinarian. First, I would check his teeth especially back molar on the affected side. It is unlikely given his young age but a tooth root abscess can cause swelling in the face. Other possible sources of abscess could be a sinus infection, presence of a nasal foreign body, a soft tissue (not bone) tumor or any injury (such as cat or dog fight or even a snake bite) which punctured his skin from the outside. Benadyrl is only an anti-histamine and it is unlikely that allergic reaction would still be present after 4 days. Prednisone may help with the inflammation but nothing else. I would call your veterinarian who may either schedule you in for a recheck exam or prescribe an antibiotic for treatment of an possible abscess. I hope this advice helps you and if so, please take the time to give me a positive rating?

Hello, I hope your dog Remington is feeling better today? If you have other questions let me know? If my advice helped you, please take the time to give my answer a positive rating..

Hello again, I hope your little friend is feeling better..If my advice helped, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take the time to give my response a positive rating? This would allow me to receive compensation for my expertise and time assisting you and your pet.. Much thanks