Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

Dog ate pumpkin carvings and has diarrhea and vomiting is

Customer Question

dog ate pumpkin carvings and has diarrhea and vomiting is this serious
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your pup! The pumpkin isn't toxic to your pup but has caused some gastroenteritis. To start, take up any food and water in the house for the next 12 hours. The reason for this is to allow his intestinal tract to rest, and not to add any irritation to his tummy. When you take him outside to potty, take him on a leash so he can't eat grass or anything else to further cause vomiting.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

If after 12 hours he hasn't vomited, you can start by offering him a small amount of water (just a half cup or so). If he keeps this down, repeat the offer in an hour. If he keeps the water down, you can offer him small amounts of water every hour/few hours. If there is no more vomiting, you can begin to offer small amounts of food tomorrow. The best choice is plain white rice and boiled chicken breast. No oils or seasoning. Start with just a tablespoon or two, and if no vomiting, you can continue to offer small meals throughout the day tomorrow. If no more vomiting, you can go back to normal sized meals the next day. If however, your pup continues to vomit despite fasting, or becomes weak/lethargic/painful in the belly, then she needs to be seen ASAP because she may become dehydrated and require an injection to stop the vomiting and fluids under the skin or via IV to rehydrate her.

If the diarrhea isn't resolving after a day or two on the chicken and rice diet, your vet can prescribe an anti diarrheal.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied. Best of luck!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Below is an article on vomiting and diarrhea with additional infohttp://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=353

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
Hi Debra,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Samantha. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay