Derek Caudill
Derek Caudill,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Animal Care Hospital
88281037

Gave my 17.5# dog an overdose of Frontline Plus (washed off

Customer Question

gave my 17.5# ***** an overdose of Frontline Plus (washed off immediately) believe his skin obsorbed about enough for a 40# ***** dose. so after shampooing with cold water, what more do i need to do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Derek Caudill replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Caudill. I am a mixed animal veterinar***** *****censed and practicing in Kentucky. I hope to be of help to you. First off, what size Frontline did you apply? I understand the part about believing that approximately 40# ***** absorbed but it would be beneficial to know what size treatment you were using. Fortunately, Frontline products are typically less responsible for severe post-dosing reactions in my experience.

Secondly, is Sam showing any side effects? These often include tremors, disorientation, ataxia (staggering, difficulty standing, etc.). What type of shampoo did you use when bathing him? I find that using products designed to cut grease, like Dawn dish detergent (I prefer the plain, blue Dawn) do a better job at breaking down the oily compounds used in the flea/tick products. If you haven't, you may considering bathing him with this to further prevent any problems.

I feel that with the quick response in bathing Sam, your chances of having any serious side effects should be minimal. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i loaded a syring with 4ml of product and administered most of this. then realized that i didn't have much left of the original vial for the next dog and immediately washed the dog with liquid hand soap on the kitchen counter for about 5 min. multiple times the dog is resting quietly no tremors and appears normal at this time, he is walking normal. i was giving him Frontline Plus and i miss read the vial dose - trying to save money ... i have dawn blue soap should i rewash ?

I would recommend rewashing just to be safe. I feel like Sam will be ok, but would hate to think that something bad could possibly have been prevented by another bath. When bathing this time, focus specifically on the area where the Frontline was applied.

I have a lot of clients who do the same thing with dosing from a larger vial to treat multiple animals. Nothing wrong there, just have to be careful to watch amounts.

P.S.- My favorite dog was my English Pointer named Sam.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay thanks so much i rewashed with a generous amount of dawn -have a good day

You are very welcome. Please keep an eye on him for the next few hours and seek immediate attention if any of the side effects I mentioned develop.

Please feel free to rate my response. -Dr. Caudill