DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

I have a six month old Labrador puppy who has chewed my

Customer Question

Hi there, I have a six month old Labrador puppy who has chewed my walls overnight, and has eaten plaster from the walls. She had her breakfast at 7am willingly and at 1pm she began to vomit, initially digested food and now it looks like small amounts of grey sludge. She has had water but I wondered if you could give me some advice regarding what diet, if any, she should have?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. I'm sorry to hear your puppy got into some trouble. Plaster is not digestible and if large pieces were consumed they could easily cause a GI obstruction. This would be very serious. If the puppy really chewed it up well then it may pass through or be vomited up and be ok. The signs of GI obstruction are continued vomiting, especially dry heaving or inability to even keep water down. If you see these signs, the puppy needs to get a an emergency vet for radiographs to see where the pieces are and to see if surgery is needed because they are stuck in the bowel. If the puppy is able to keep water down and is not just randomly vomiting over the next 2-3 hours, then you can try settling the GI act with Pepcid ac - 5 mg orally. Then feed very small amounts of human chicken baby food...like a couple tablespoons at a time. If she is able to keep it down then you can increase the amount later tonight. Tomorrow you can try going back to wetted down regular puppy food in small meals like 1/4 cup. If at any point she refuses to eat or vomits when she eats, you need to get to th vet. I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lauren,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
DrMelJ