Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog had a rupture of her anal gland last night we went to

Customer Question

My dog had a rupture of her anal gland last night we went to the ER Vet and they flushed her out! It looks better today but my dog is not pooping! How long should I wait?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Give it a little more time.This area is still painful and your sweet Harley may still be so painful that she is holding the stool in. It will help to add 1 teaspoon off vegetable oil to her food to help soften the stool so it is less painful to have a bowel movement. Also, if your vet did not prescribe any pain relievers, you can give Harley aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to relieve her pain so it will not hurt to have a bowel movement.

More than 2 days, take Harley to your vet for an exam....just to be safe.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just took her outside and thankfully she went! The vet gave me rymadil once ir twice per day! It does seem to make her a bit sleepy...

excellent! That is so great...the Rimadyl will relieve the pain.

have a wonderful day!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help

You are very welcome! I am so happy that this worked out for your sweet little Harley.