Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Earlier tonight my dog threw up a huge amount. She seemed

Customer Question

Earlier tonight my dog threw up a huge amount. She seemed fine after, drank some water too. A few hours later I woke up to her heavily panting.. She hasn't stopped, it's been half an hour or so. Her tongue is hanging out and she's shaking as well. I tried to get her to drink some water but she wasn't interested.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is your dog?

2- Breed?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- What was in the vomit?

5- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi
1. About 2 and a half years old
2. Pitbull mix
3. She was diagnosed with hypothyroidism almost two months ago and has been on medication since without any incidence and her thyroid levels are responding to the treatment
4. Just food
5. Not as far as we know
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- Are you seeing any abdominal swelling?

2- Any other symptoms?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- Can you take her rectal temperature?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Doesn't appear to have abdominal swelling
2. No
3. 75 lbs
4. Don't have a thermometer
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, pancreatitis, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. Her panting could be a sign of gastrointestinal discomfort, a fever (infection), etc. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need a hands on examination by a veterinarian as so many medical conditions share the same symptoms. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep her indoors in a cool room while fasting.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit while she is being fasted I would have her checked by ER vet otherwise follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter