Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

My eight-year-old dachshund and has been exhibiting back

Customer Question

My eight-year-old dachshund and has been exhibiting back leg/back pain over the past few days. Tonight he won't eat, popped on the floor And crawled in our fireplace and is exhibiting back leg issues. It's Halloween night and no vet in town is open. Closest emergency is 45 min away and I have a newborn baby so I'm hesitant to hop in the car and go. Can I give him some people meds for what I think is pain? He's about 16 lbs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello I'm Dr. RB and I am a licensed veterinarian. Unfortunately, Dachshund breeds are very susceptible intervertebral disc disease which involves either 1. acute rupture of an intervertebral and disc material moving upward and causing inflammation to the spinal cord or 2. Degenerative of the disc overtime which my herniate and compress the spinal cord leading to progressively worsening signs; first back pain, then weakness of the front and/or hind limbs, followed by paralysis. Once paralysis occurs, usually there is a 24 hours period of time in which spinal surgery need to be performed prior in order for the dog to have a 50% chance of reversing the paralysis.

Therefore, if you are seeing his hind limbs be very weak and wobbly and "crossing over" in the midline, I would try to get him to the emergency clinic right away because this suggest progressively worsening clinical neurological signs. However, if he is experiencing discomfort only; then I would put him in a crate or small room where is confined on soft bedding (no running, jumping, playing, climbing stairs) and he is rested until the morning when you can take him to your regular veterinarian in the morning. I would not give him any pain medications as human anti-inflammatory drugs are very harsh for dog's gastrointestinal tract. I hope this advice helps you;)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. His back limbs are definitely wobbly and I would say are crossing over. I'm so torn right now and will probably have to wait until the morning at least to take him somewhere since were so far from care and I have a newborn who I have to stay close to. We have him in his bed which is soft and he seems to be resting fine right now. If it seems he is worse in the evening I will take him straight in.

Okay I hope your little feels better soon:) If you are happy with my advice, I would greatly appreciated a positive rating? If you have any questions please let me know.

Hello, just checking in to see you have any additional questions for me?

Hello again, I hope your little friend is feeling better..If my advice helped, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take the time to give my response a positive rating? This would allow me to receive compensation for my expertise and time assisting you and your pet.. Much thanks