Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

We have two chihuahua mixes(one deer chihuahua female and

Customer Question

We have two chihuahua mixes(one deer chihuahua female and one blue heeler/chihuahua male mix) who have lived together for their six years. For the past 1.5 years, an elderly corgie/terrier male mix moved in(all dogs were fixed as pups). It has been pretty smooth until about a month ago(that we are aware of), the elderly dog has been getting sores/scabs on his hind quarters and neck area, today we caught the two younger dogs ganging up badly on the elderly dog(we were just leaving the house and had to a run back in and pull them off). Not sure what to do now?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello I'm Dr RB and I am a licensed veterinarian. Unfortunately, it is somewhat common for any type of dog to act aggressively toward another dog that is older or seen an "infirm" for any reason. It is difficult to understand why but it has some basis in behavior trait that was passed down evolutionarily when dogs survived as pack animals. Another scenario happens when dogs are excited, distressed or crowded or anything that serves as a "trigger" and this causes dogs to have "re-directed aggression" toward another dog or person that was not the initial source of the their anger or distress. For now, I would only allow all of your dogs to interact when you are home with them. I would separate the younger dogs from the elderly dog in a crate or separate room or use a baby gate. This will prevent any aggression that occurs while you are away that could escalate. And be extra careful to give each dog equal attention and care on their own. I would also separate each dog's feeding bowl as food aggression is also very common. I hope this advice helps you;)

Hello again, I hope your little friend is feeling better..If my advice helped, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take the time to give my response a positive rating? This would allow me to receive compensation for my expertise and time assisting you and your pet.. Much thanks