Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

We have a 13 pound bison that is 5 years old. Little

Customer Question

We have a 13 pound bison that is 5 years old. Little lethargic and just in the last few hours her back legs are giving out. She is eating some but not drinking much water. Do we wait and see how she is in morning or take her to emergency clinic tonight. She does not seem in pain
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear Mya is not feeling well this evening. I will give you some basic guidelines that warrant a veterinary er visit tonight but if there is any hesitations then please have her seen. I worry with her breed about any type of back injury...

Recommend veterinary er

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration
- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it
- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable
- Swollen abdomen
- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest
- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5
- No interest in food for 24+ hours
- No urination for 12+ hours
- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour
- Productive coughing
- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

Tonight:

-Please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty)
-Rotate warm and cool compresses on the back in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow.

-Continue the light circular massage of the back legs but include up and down the back to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it.

- To be safe, pick your dog up please use one hand between front legs and then scooping behind back legs to avoid pressure in the middle of the back
- Pepcid (famotidine) 10 mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for a few days to settle her stomach
- Cook some boiled chicken and white rice which is bland yet bulking for her

Please let me know if you have any additional questions this evening, I hope Mya is feeling better soon...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, I am online another 10 minutes tonight if I can be of any further assistance to you both...

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I am checking in on Mya to see how he is doing after we spoke yesterday? Were my suggestions helpful? I would love an update!

If you were satisfied with my responses I would very much appreciate if you would rate our conversation on the top of the page or simply type "great or good service" in the box so that I can be compensated for my time

Thank you and best of luck to you both!