Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My small older dog seems to be constipated so is there

Customer Question

my small older dog seems to be constipated so is there anything I can give her to move her system which I think may be due to a pet sitter giving too many treats?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Sorry to hear Buffy is having issues with constipation. It might be related to treats being too rich for her, the stress of you being gone, or a combination of the two...

Hopefully the steps below will help her have a bowel movement but if this doesn't change, her appetite is not improving, or she has increased lethargy as well please consider a veterinary visit

1.) A high fiber food. This might include a light formula which will have a higher fiber content. This gives a dog a feeling of satiety and when the stomach is full there is an increased urgency to defecate which will help empty the colon. Since her appetite is waning this can be a mixture of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken.

2.) Add water to the meals which is important in defecation and motility because it aids in lubrication

3.) Regular walks. Leash walks are critical in emptying the colon completely. Especially an hour or so after meals. When the stomach is full the gi tract tends to start increased motility so there is a natural urge to defecate.

4.) Supplements along with the light formula can include white rice (reducing the diet to add this), 1 tbsp canned pumpkin, 1/2 tsp of miralax, carrots

As I mentioned previously, if this continues despite these recommendations it would be best to see your veterinarian to ensure there is no other issues such as with the anal glands, a motility disorder that might require medication to treat, or another metabolic cause of this issue

Please let me know if you have any additional questions today, I hope Buffy is feeling better soon

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier and I hope my suggestions are helpful...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I am checking in on Buffy to see how she is doing after you asked your question yesterday?? Were my suggestions helpful? Has she had a bowel movement and eaten? I would love an update!

If you were satisfied with my responses I would very much appreciate if you would rate our conversation on the top of the page or simply type "great or good service" in the box so that I can be compensated for my time

Thank you and best of luck to you both!