Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Have a just on 10 year old Labrador went walk he is now

Customer Question

have a just on 10 year old Labrador went for a walk he is now favouring one paw what can I soak it in think he may have stood on a bindi we are not used to those as from cairns
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear your dog has a wound! I can definitely give you recommendations to minimize infection and reduce healing time but if there is any discharge or it is not healing then please have your vet evaluate the lesion to ensure additional medication is not warranted.

1.) No licking! If this area is reachable then please put a sock on to prevent her from reaching the area. Licking introduces oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of inflammation and infection

2.) Trim the hair around the wound if Mikey has moderate hair around the feet

3.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry

4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a triple antibiotic on the area after cleaning

5.) If available use an epsom salt soak 10 minutes prior to bathing the foot. The salt helps draw out any foreign material in the foot and hopefully will allow a more rapid healing

6.) Limit activity. The more activity the more likely this wound will take longer to heal because the skin cannot heal in an active setting

7.) If available benadryl (gravol) 1 mg/ pound every 8-12 hours to help with the itch but may cause sedation

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions i can assist with or clarify today.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good day, I am checking in on Mikey to see how he is doing after you asked your question yesterday? Were my suggestions helpful? I would love an update!

If you were satisfied with my responses I would very much appreciate if you would rate our conversation on the top of the page or simply type "great or good service" in the box so that I can be compensated for my time

Thank you and best of luck to you both!