Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a cairn terrier that weighs about 14 lbs. He just

Customer Question

Hi, I have a cairn terrier that weighs about 14 lbs. He just chewed an e-cigarette pre-filled cartridge that has 24 ml of nicotine. He did not swallow it. About half of the cartridge got crushed. I'm trying to determine what I need to look for and if I need to get him to the vet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me, please, was there significant access to the inside of the cartridge? Nicotine becomes toxic at a dose of as little as 0.5 mg/lb or 7 mg for Herki. Symptoms can include vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, ptyalism (increased salivation), miosis (pinpoint pupils), agitation, seizures, and even death.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would say the cartridge was about half empty before he got it (It fell on the floor and I was looking for it when I found he had it). The cartridge was still attached to the battery, which was not chewed. So I am not sure if, or how much liquid he may have ingested.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
far, he seems fine, but it has not been even 15 minutes.

If he had ingested all of the contents - approximately 12 ml - which I believe would be unlikely, he could be in trouble. Can you tell me the mg/ml strength of nicotine in that cartridge, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cartridge is 24 ml. of nicotine. Vapor4Life cartridges.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Holds 1 mL of e Liquid, 24mg nicotine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
or 2.4% nicotine

Thank you for clarifying that. He might have ingested as much as 12 mg of nicotine, then, which would be dangerous. It's a rapid-acting poison, however, often causing symptoms by 1 hour post-ingestion. If you're not seeing any symptoms at this time, you need only "watchful wait" to see if any arise. There's a good chance that Herki will remain unaffected. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** keep watching him.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.