Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We just mistakenly gave 16.2mg of phenobarbital to the wrong

Customer Question

We just mistakenly gave 16.2mg of phenobarbital to the wrong dog. The dog who received it is 24 lbs and takes .5mg of pred once a day, and PPL twice a day. He is an extremely well managed Addisonian, gets .6 CC of DOCP every 28 days, he is in the middle of his cycle. Should we be concerned?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You'll find that 16.2 mg (1/4 grain) of phenobarbital in a 10.9 kg (24 lb) dog - 1.49 mg/kg - will simply act as a sedative and nothing more. That dose is just a bit higher than the smallest initial dose recommended for treatment of idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy. The phenobarbital might transiently lower Fred's prednisone concentration but not to the extent that his Addison's will become unregulated.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!!! We will keep an eye on him and if he gets too lethargic I can always give a little pred boost. Thank you so much

You're quite welcome. My best to Fred!

I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do!

I appreciate it. No need to reply at this time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Fred. How is everything going?