Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

Yesterday, my sweet dog took her last breaths. I had her to

Customer Question

Yesterday, my sweet dog took her last breaths. I had her to the vet and they checked 3 different times for signs of life. We brought her home, wrapped her in a blanket and left her for the night in the basement, near the fireplace. Today, we were preparing to bury her, but her body does not feel stiff. I am worried that she is still alive.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr RB and I am a licensed veterinarian. I am so sorry to hear about your loss.. Let me assure you that Buttercup has passed away.. When we pass away, the first few hours we develop a stiffness known as "rigor mortis".. Rigor mortis occur due to contracture of the muscles as blood supply and circulation ceases. if the body is not placed in a cooler or freezer during rigor mortis, then over the next several hours the rigor mortis will resolve and muscles are no longer stiff. I know this is so touch. But rest assured you can put your baby to rest knowing she has passed and you will see her again someday. I hope this helps you..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** such a difficult time and I just want to make sure she has passed.

You are most welcome...

Hello again.. Again so sorry for loss.. When you a chance, will you kindly take the time to give my advice/answer to your question a positive rating? Take care