Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

My 8 year old shih tzu somehow managed to get the lid off of

Customer Question

My 8 year old shih tzu somehow managed to get the lid off of a pocket size bottle of antibacterial gel and he drank it. This happened 2 days ago but he still isn't acting right. Any ideas what could be wrong and what I should do about it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr RB and I am a licensed veterinarian.. It sounds like you little dog is experiencing some signs of toxicity..Is he eating, drinking? Any vomiting, diarrhea, or neurologic signs (stumbling around, disoriented)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He threw up several times on the first day and he is still eating and drinking a little bit but he is definitely lethargic and asks disoriented

Hello again. I would strongly recommended that you take him to your local veterinarian, or since it is the weekend, the 24 hours emergency clinic. The best treatment possibly for accidental poisoning and toxicity is administration of intravenous fluids in order to rid his body of the toxin. He is also at risk for having a seizure and having a medical team that can observe him around the clock is needed. Other treatments he may need such as meds to alleviate his symptoms can also be given. Because of the significant content of alcohol found in antibacterial gel as well as other chemical, this will be best for him. I hope this advice helped you:)

Hello, I hope your little dog Cash is feeling better today? If my advice helped you, will you please take the time to give my answer a positive rating?

Hello again, I hope your little friend is feeling better..If my advice helped, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take the time to give my response a positive rating? This would allow me to receive compensation for my expertise and time assisting you and your pet.. Much thanks