Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My brother's 9 year old terrier seems be tossing and turning

Customer Question

Hi. My brother's 9 year old ***** ***** terrier seems be tossing and turning at night and my brother bring him out to poop. He has tests for Addision plus numerous other blood work. Everything is fine. Any suggestions what to do? My brother is stressing over this and driving me crazy.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I see your brother' ***** ***** terrier is having some problems. When you say he is tossing and turning at night, do you mean that he isn't sleeping at night and is up walking around? Is he otherwise doing ok? No vomiting or diarrhea? Appetite and energy level ok?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. She is shaking a little bit and stretching. She just had an ultra sound and the only think the specialist could see was gas. All blood work good no Addison's. The dog is on several meds, chicken and rice, gas x. No weight loss. This is absolute throwing my brother into an anxiety issue. He is looking for things I believe. Please help.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Do you know the type of medication? Is she having normal bowel movements?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do. Metamucil, gas x, metronidazole,
Has had a ultra sound, lots of blood work. Addision's has been ruled out and any liver issues. Everything has been good. My brother is freaking out because the dog tosses and turns at night.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

So the only abnormality now is that the dog is wakeful at night? Your brother could consider trying melatonin for him. It has been used in some cases for sleep disorders/nocturnal activity in dogs. It is advised at a dose of 3 to 6 mg per dog total every 12 to 24 hours- I would start once daily to be given at bedtime. Side effects are rare but may cause sleepiness. Not many studies have been done in dogs, but it appears to be relatively safe in dogs. It should be used with caution in dogs with liver dysfunction. I would recommend he discuss it with his vet since it sounds like the dog has been seen recently and they can decide if it is something they think is safe.

It is also possible since the dog is older that it could be developing some cognitive dysfunction. I have attached an article on nighttime waking in dogs here: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3189 that you or your brother may review to see if this sounds like something that could be going on.

I hope this may give you a few ideas to consider for your brother. The article describes symptoms seen with cognitive dysfunction and different management strategies.