Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I m a mobile groomer and have couple of customers whose dog

Customer Question

HI I m a mobile groomer and have couple of customers whose dog has elephant skin, not raw or maggots like that but she scratches it. I have asked the customer to get some deflea stuff from the vets and I also put some JDS shampoo on the dog, should I carry on grooming this dog if the condition persist as I am worried it might be passed to other customers?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Do you just mean that the skin is thickened and perhaps more darkly pigmented?

Is the dog on any treatment?

Does she have any pustules, pimples, scabs or sores?

Is it localized to any particular body region? Where?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Its mainly on her back and looks like elephant skin, I havnt noticed any pus, but her ower says she itches it, there is another dog across the road who has the same thing in her ear and is a poodle, just wondering whether it is safe to carry on grooming them as worried about carrying to other custoemrs dogs, obvisiouly I give everything a good clean before next customer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but I am going out in a minute so wont be back until later or even tomorrow.Grateful if you can help me at all with some advice thoughThanksEmma
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

No worries Emma,

Thickened "elephant" like skin is a phenomena we refer to as "lichenification". This is thickening due to chronic skin irritation. It is not contagious but instead is a skin reaction to an ongoing long term issue. We'd, of course, need to be wary of what is triggering the itching (though the poodle likely is prone to ear infections and this other lass may have an underlying allergy), but the skin changes themselves are not a worry here. So, as long as we don't have raw wounds (which we can see with mange), we'd not be worried about this causing your other dog clients any issue.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that is very helpful and put me at rest!ThanksEmma
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad that I could do so for you. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lady. How is everything going?
nekovet