Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!
I am sorry to hear Toby is not feeling well tonight
Yes, I would advise a pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours for a few days as a precaution OR prilosec 0.5 mg/ pound daily as an alternative. It can be crushed in water if necessary but minimizing food is ideal until morning
If you can get him out walking that can also help with waves of nausea and abdominal cramping as well but please do not allow large amounts of grass, leaves, or water which will insight the vomiting
Reasons to consider a veterinary tonight:
- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration
- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it
- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable
- Swollen abdomen
- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest
- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5
- No interest in food for 24+ hours
- No urination for 12+ hours
- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour
- Productive coughing
- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress
I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight. I am online another 15 minutes to assist you
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!