Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog is on salax and vetmedin heart failure and has

Customer Question

my dog is on salax and vetmedin for congestive heart failure and has diarrhea. my cardiologist prescribed metronidazole for 5 days and it helped. but he will not refill and recommended to see a regular vet for digestive check up. I can't get my dog in for a week without going to ER. I'm looking to maybe give Mylanta, as stool is mostly water and appitiate is down. I it safe? he is a 12 year old weimeriener and about 65 lbs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr Altman and happy to help you both today!

I am so sorry Rudy has so much going on! I don't feel Mylanta makes a big difference with gi upset in dogs. My recommendation is:

- Bland diet of white rice and boiled lean meat will help bulk up stool and keep the gut comfortable. Smaller more frequent meals are effective
- Pepcid (famotidine) 10 mg 1 & 1/2 tablet every 12 hours to help settle the stomach OR prilosec (omeprazole) 20 mg 1 & 1/2 tablet orally daily.
- If he is up for it leash walks will help gi cramping, nausea, and allow him to rest more comfortably. 15+ minutes if you are able...

If you are having difficulties getting in to your regular veterinarian because of scheduling conflicts:
- Ask if they have a medical slot that they keep for emergencies the day of, if they have any drop off appointments as an alternative
- Use another regular veterinarian in your town just for this one visit to get him seen and ensure he is treated appropriately then have those records transferred to your regular vet

I hope this information is helpful but if you have any additional questions please don't hesitate to ask. I hope Rudy is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am online an additional 20 minutes if you need any further guidance this evening

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I am checking in on Rudy to see how he is doing after we spoke the other day? Were my suggestions helpful? I would love an update!

If you were satisfied with my responses I would very much appreciate if you would rate our conversation on the top of the page or simply type "great or good service" in the box so that I can be compensated for my time

Thank you and best of luck to you both!