Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog was vomiting then she was shivering. And her stomach

Customer Question

My dog was vomiting then she was shivering. And her stomach was. Was like having spasm now she has a discharge from her vaginal area and her blanket is very wet
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. What colour is the discharge?

2. Has she been spayed, if not was she in season sometime over the last month or so?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The discharge is yellow she is not fixed and not in season i think she will be in season soon soon my other dog is in heat she is a little papillon shitzu mix this has never happend before

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

It would be a good idea to talk this issue over with you by phone and I am standing by to do so ...

1. However in the meantime I can tell you this : Where a dog of your one's age has a vaginal discharge this is always a great cause for concern because of the possibility of a very serious disease called pyometra. These dogs will be lethargic, will have no appetite, some will have a vaginal discharge which the owners regard as a continuation of heat these cases are called an open pyometra, others will have no vaginal discharge and these are termed closed pyometras.

2. The main treatment for this disease is an immediate hysterectomy operation [ Spay ]. It differs from a normal spay operation in that as the dog is usually quite sick you need to provide additional support like putting it on a drip and a higher level of post operative care.

3. The bot***** *****ne is that that Pyometra is a very serious disease where you have to act very quickly, so if there is even the slightest chance your dog may be affected then you should have her checked over by a vet without delay just to be on the safe side. Do not attempt home remedies.

4. Here is a link to an accurate which covers this disease in depth : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Mushie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the vaginal discharge ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.