Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

What can I do puppy that is 5 weeks that is knuckling over

Customer Question

what can I do for a puppy that is 5 weeks that is knuckling over
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I believe that you're describing a carpal flexural deformity (CFD) - a musculotendinous disorder producing transient flexion of the carpus and supination of the manus in young animals. This generally affects medium- large-, and giant-bred puppies between 6-16 weeks of age. The differential diagnosis includes distal radius and ulna deformities, ligamentous injury, or bone deformity within the carpus. If X-rayed, pups with CFD show normal bones, growth plates and level of mineralization. The disease is self-limiting and so conservative therapy is appropriate. Provide a balanced diet and avoid caloric excess and mineral/vitamin supplementation. Refractory cases might benefit from a bandage extending from the elbow to the paw and with the limb in normal stance position to be maintained for one to several weeks. It's best that Puppy's vet determine if such a bandage is wise because even in severe cases, improvement occurs with a few days to 2 weeks and recovery is complete by the second to fourth week.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Puppy. How is everything going?