Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a 14 year old female lab that has lost a huge amount

Customer Question

I have a 14 year old female lab that has lost a huge amount of weight. She has a very hard time trying to release her bowels, every thing that does come very runny and yellow. Very fowl smell. Her right rear leg has swelled to 2or3 times it's normal size and has no strength. She falls a lot when that leg just folds. She eats very little, acts like she is full, but drinks a large amount of water. What can I do for her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Is it fair to say she is drinking more than usual?

4- Has she been seen by a vet for any of these problems?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3 4 weeks, no previous conditions , yes she drinks way more than she used to. no i haven't taken her to a vet.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the delay in response. I was offline by the time you came back. In response to your question, when a dog drinks more water than usual it is a sign an underlying medical problem. There are many possible causes. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: An active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. Any of these diseases can also cause Lexi to loose weight and have loose stool. In other words, her weight loss is directly related to any of these diseases.

As far as the limb being swollen, this could be a completely different problem like arthritis, an injury, etc. Or, it could be the primary cause of all of her symptoms like: Infections, tumors, etc.

In this case unfortunately we are very limited as to what you can do at home. There is really nothing I can recommend for you to try at home that would have a significant therapeutic benefit in this case. Lexi's treatment will be depend on underlying cause. To determine which of the above is the underlying cause your family veterinarian will need to do some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC), xrays and urinalysis as initial screening test. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lexi. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter