Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My 11 yr old akia chow shepard mix is panting and having

Customer Question

My 11 yr old akia chow shepard mix is panting and having trouble sitting and laying down. He was fine amount half an hour ago. It is left leg. I gave him a rimidyl hoping to help him rest till I can get him to the vet. He wants to lay down but it hurts. any suggestions.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that you've had a rough night with Shaggy. It appears that no experts were online in the wee hours of the morning here - I apologize for the delay in our response. I just logged in for the morning and saw your question in the queue.

I'm glad to hear that you had some Rimadyl on hand for him - that should kick in within a couple of hours. You're definitely not wrong to consider ice. We have no hard studies that confirm that it's helpful in dogs but it's definitely not harmful and the basic principle makes sense. You could also consider massage and gentle range of motion exercises to keep him from getting stiff, as well as adjusting his bedding so that the affected leg is propped up or otherwise bedded in a position most comfortable to him. Unfortunately, aside from that, there's not a whole lot else that you can do other than either wait it out until your vet opens or take him to the nearest veterinary emergency hospital. It's certainly not overkill to seek emergency care if he's in severe discomfort.

Please let me know how he's doing this morning. I'd be happy to continue to advise you further as new developments arise.

Thanks!

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! Thank you so much :)