Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a bulldog that we have been told has hot spots. And

Customer Question

I have a bulldog that we have been told has hot spots. And she was taking mess for some time which seemed to only relieve itchy not healing. And now these hot spots have taken over her body and some spots become soars from her rubbing them or from what seems like a crustation that forms then the hair comes out or tangles
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

What medications were used?

Did they ever heal?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paperclip icon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that ony our computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where you able to see pics
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I am afraid not, this is the first reply I have seen from you.

Can you repost them for me? And let me know about her previous treatments?

-Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/james146/library/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I added pictures to photo bucket and attached link
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the photos of Josie's skin.

Actually, I have to first say that this doesn't look as severe as your message had suggested. These don't actually look like fresh hot spots. Those are usually moist and spread like wildfire over the skin. The lesions in your pictures look dry (as if a moist dermatitis/hot spot were healing or we just had self trauma from her scratching). In any case, the focus of these situations is to break the itch/scratch cycle and get the skin healing. Further to that, we often have a bigger challenge in that we need to determine the trigger (often allergic in these cases and can be diet based, pollen based, flea saliva, or an allergen in the house like dust or storage mites).

In this case, since the lesions look quite mild though diffuse, if she is still itching then we can start her on an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Further to that, just since we have had some healing issues, I would note that you can bathe the lesions with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute chlorohexidine, salt water, etc) and then apply an OTC antibiotic cream (ie Neosporin). Just to keep her from licking that or scratching these areas, I would also suggest keeping the skin covered for the short term using a t-shirt +/- boxer shorts (turned backwards so there is a hole for her tail). The fabric will protect the skin but is breathable to aid it healing/drying out.

Otherwise, as I noted, it can be tricky to totally settle them if there is an ongoing allergen. Therefore, we need to keep up on flea treatment monthly (just in case they are out trigger), review her diet (perhaps stop any new diets/treats that were started within 4-6 weeks of her signs starting), and if this has been worse just this season, we may want to continue antihistamines until the winter properly starts (and if it is a seasonal allergy that should settle it and we may just want to have her on antihistamines in that time of year). Otherwise, if the signs persist, after those, we may need to consider having her vet allergy test her to determine what is triggering this and/or consider further treatment (ie Aoptical, Apoquel, Immunotherapy) to keep her skin settled and comfortable.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Josie. How is everything going?
nekovet