Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog's skin is turning dark and purple around her "lady

Customer Question

My dog's skin is turning dark and purple around her "lady parts." Coincidentally, she is being treated for incontinence, and the treatment is not working. Could there be a connection? Should I worry about the discolored skin?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Based on your description, I suspect Tasha's skin in this area is becoming hyperpigmented. This isn't anything to worry about but just a sign that the skin has been chronically irritated (the skin reaction is similar to why we tan when sun rays are "irritating" our skin). So, it is just likely be due to her leaking urine and then licking the area. But again it is a color change but carries no health risk for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Tasha. How is everything going?
nekovet