Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My dog ate 3 Rimadyl tablets by accident and she only takes

Customer Question

Hello my dog ate 3 Rimadyl tablets by accident and she only takes half in the morning and half in the evening. Should she go to the emergency
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dog ate extra rimadyl tablets. Based on your history, is it safe to assume she weighs about 50 pounds and is taking 1/2 of a 100mg tablets twice daily?

If this is correct, she should be fine this evening. The dose she ingested is 13mg/kg which is definitely too much, but only enough to cause vomiting and diarrhea. Much higher than that and we run into problems with the liver and kidneys.

For tonight, I would recommend giving 20mg of Pepcid (famotidine) to reduce the acid in her stomach and monitor closely for vomiting and diarrhea. If she starts vomiting or having diarrhea, I recommend taking her to your regular veterinarian in the morning.

I would skip the morning dose and then continue tomorrow evening as previously directed.

In the future, if she steals more rimadyl, I would recommend inducing vomiting with hydrogen peroxide immediately. You can force her to swallow about 2-3 tablespoons and she should vomit within 10 minutes. Vomiting is useless 30 minutes after the pills are ingested which is why I did not recommend it tonight.

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is your dog this evening? Any problems after eating the Rimadyl? Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar