Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog a maltese/llasa apso cross goes beserk at the first

Customer Question

My dog a maltese/llasa apso cross goes beserk at the first sign of thunder and is now starting to act up when it rains. She pants very heavily and can't be controlled by anything. she scratches doors and rips up anything she can by using her nails. When the storm goes on for too long she throws up as well.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on for? Is she on any medications?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has always been like this she is 8 no medicines

Sorry for the delay in response I was away from the computer when you responded. Sounds like your dog has some serious storm phobia going on. Fortunately there are a couple of options that you can try to see if they help. One is the Adaptil collar. I included a link so you can see what it is . It has an appeasing pheromone that continuous releases and it can be effective in some dog with this . It also comes as a plug in diffuser as well. It can be ordered on Amazon or it may be sold at your veterinary clinic. There are also thunder shirts that can be used that is supposed to act as a comfort during these times.

Your dog seems like she has a serious case of storm phobia so she may need to see your veterinarian and be prescribed oral anti-anxiety medications. Some of the most common medication prescribed include Xanax, Prozac, and Elavil. Sometimes the drug acepromazine is prescribed but in some dogs they can be very sedate from it. Your veterinarian will take a look at her and see what the best option is. It would be great if the thundershirt and the Adaptil would work so ideally she would not have to take any drugs.