Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My dog is lethargic,hot and sweaty under her arms and her

Customer Question

my dog is lethargic,hot and sweaty under her arms and her nose is dry.
what can we do?---age 7 female
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm really sorry to hear that your girl isn't feeling well tonight - I'm here to help.

The symptoms that you are describing are really quite nonspecific, meaning that they aren't indicative of any one specific disease. I'm afraid that if lethargy, warm under the arms, and a dry nose are the only things that you're seeing right now, it's not going to be possible for me to know what's going on without seeing her for myself.

Try observing her closely to see if you can get an idea what's going on.

Some dogs with sore backs will guard their spine (tighten their belly muscles when you try to bend their back), some dogs with joint or limb pain will limp, dogs with severe itching are easy to spot because you're seeing lots of scratching. Nausea or GI discomfort is often followed by vomiting or diarrhea - they can get all crampy just like we can when they are having a GI upset. I've seen dogs with things like abscessed anal glands, severe allergies, fleas, GI upsets (diarrhea or vomiting), back or limb pain, and even ear infections act as you're describing. The possibilities, unfortunately, are many. Ultimately if she's feeling ill with vague symptoms, she's going to need to be examined by a vet to get a better idea of what's going on.

Equipped with these tips, I think that you may be able to have a better idea of what's bothering her. Red flags that indicate that we need to seek emergency care would be: any sort of abdominal distention, pale or white gums, very high heart rate (>140 beats per minute), or any sort of labored breathing. Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! Thank you so much :)