Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Will advil or toradol work dogs toothache

Customer Question

Will advil or toradol work for a dogs toothache
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about medication for your dog's toothache. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm glad you're here looking for information prior to medicating your dog; some medications can be dangerous for dogs, and Advil is one. Please do not give your dog Advil at any dose, ever, because it is toxic to them.

(typing more)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Toradol, unfortunately, is also in the same category. It's toxic to dogs, causing GI problems and potential kidney damage.

Sorry to give you bad news, but neither of these drugs is safe for administration to dogs.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'd like to add that in veterinary medicine, we don't tend to rely on NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) to manage dental pain in dogs. Yes, it's often part of the treatment, but successful treatment relies on identifying the cause of the toothache, then solving it.

We tend to use safe and effective NSAIDs (like Rimadyl) and tramadol for dogs with dental pain, in conjunction with whatever kind of dental treatment is required to eliminate the problem that is causing the pain. This may be an extraction or a tooth-sparing technique like a root canal, depending on the situation.

Please rest assured, however, that with a full dental examination, your veterinarian will be able to come up with a solution for your dog's problem that will be both safe and effective.

I hope this helps to answer your question. I want to be as helpful as possible.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. Without a positive rating from you, the website keeps your entire deposit and I receive no compensation for helping you.

If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may help so I may have the opportunity to earn your good rating.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Jo
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to ask how things are going with your dog. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Thank you.