Treevet
Treevet,
Experience:  Owner/Veterinarian at Hyde Park Veterinary Hospital
89661231

My 13 year old boy lab has a gh count Transitional

Customer Question

HI! My 13 year old boy lab has a high count Transitional Epithelia. I have his blood work. He is having a hard time urinating. He had an accident on himself yesterday. His walking is also not right. Thanks'!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His count is Transitional Epithelia 4-10 and Squamous Epithelia is 2-3. He does have bacterial rods of 26-50 also. He is having an uncomfortable time walking. His penis and shaft are swollen also. He has no other health problems.
Expert:  Treevet replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have been working in various aspects of small animal practice for over 5 years.

The large numbers of bacteria are definitely indicative of a bacterial infection somewhere in the urinary tract. We missing some of the picture here though. What were the rest of his urinalysis results? Were there white blood cells, red blood cells, ketones, etc...? Also, is he neutered or intact?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is his complete blood work. My mom (we) use an at home vet. She is out of town and left antibiotics for him. My mom said she sounded very vague and was distracted on her visit to pinpoint his problem. This is his regular vet. I uploaded his bloodwork. THANKS SO MUCH!!
Expert:  Treevet replied 1 year ago.

Got it. Thank you.

Ok. So his urinalysis is very suspicious for cancer or a significant infection. To be honest, it is quite rare for male dogs to get such a significant infection. Older male dogs that suddenly develop a urinary tract infection are not common. Generally there is some sort of inciting cause for the infection. The most common reasons for these results are : Prostate infection, bladder stones, prostate cancer, bladder cancer, urethral cancer.

I cannot comment on what exam your vet did but if this were my case I would be doing a good rectal exam to check the urethra and prostate and would be considering x-rays or ultrasound to assess the urinary tract.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vet did a full rectal exam. My mom did talk to the vet this evening. He started an antibiotic yesterday for 2 weeks (amoxicillin 500mg). She is picking up a steroid in the morning to start him on. She also said in a message that the pathologist wanted to look at the lab results. I do not know exactly what that means. Thanks again.
Expert:  Treevet replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome.

Yes, a good look from a pathologist may help figure things out. That is a great first step. Thanks for the update.