Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have 2 dogs one is 30lb Irish terrier mix pounds and I

Customer Question

Hi
I have 2 dogs one is 30lb Irish terrier mix pounds and I have a another dog German Shepard that is 95 lb.i believe they might have ate a whole bag of cough drops .
It's the Burts bees honey all natural cough drops
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear your pups ate some cough drops and I'd like to help.
The ingredient list for Burt's Bees cough drops that I found is as follows: Menthol 2.0 mg - oral pain reliever, Inactive Ingredients : honey, sucrose, maltodextrin, oryza sativa (rice) extractwater, flavor*, eucalyptus globulus leaf oil

The main concern when dogs eat cough drops is if the cough drop contained an artificial sweetener called xylitol.
That is very toxic to dogs and if the drop contained xylitol you need to induce vomiting, but I do not see that on the list of ingredients here.

Other ingredients in cough drops, such as menthol and sugars, can cause stomach upset and maybe some diarrhea but no long term effects. The bigger the dog is and the fewer drops that they eat the less likely that these ingredients will be problematic.

In this case the bag only contains about 20 drops. So while your pups may have some mild nausea and possibly loose stools from the ingredients in the drops, no long term effects should be seen.

The other concern though is if they ingested the packaging, as that can lead to a gastrointestinal blockage.

If they ate the bag or wrappers too to help get them to pass I recommend starting with a vaseline sandwich.

Take a slice of whole wheat bread, slather with vaseline as you would peanut butter on a slice of bread, cover with a second slice. Feed one "sandwich" to each dog in bite sized pieces, piece by bite sized piece or they will make a huge vaseline mess. This adds fiber and hopefully makes the bag and wrapper pieces slip rather than catch.

For the next few days, until the pieces pass, they'll need to be fed a bland diet with lots of fiber added in small meals several times a day, 4 to 6 meals is ideal. We do this so the pieces are surrounded, and the gut isn't irritated contracting on plastic, and they don't bunch up and cause an obstruction. A homemade diet for this is 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, white rice. Add 2-4 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber. This diet will also help prevent diarrhea.

You'll need to check their stools frequently for pieces in the next few days.

Signs that things aren't going well, and they need an immediate veterinary visit, are vomiting, a tense painful belly, lack of an appetite, a fever (more than 103.5F rectally) and lethargy. If it doubt at all that things aren't going well it is always best to have them checked.

Once the pieces are passed and they are feeling well then start mixing in regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get them converted back to regular food.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Omalley. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara