Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is arching s back and slowed down dramatically. I

Customer Question

My dog is arching his back and slowed down dramatically. I have no money for vet bill. What can I do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry to learn Duke is not feeling well. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- Did he get into anything?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- Is he currently on any medications?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1-no
2- three days
3-not that I know of
4-no
5-no
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- Is he walking any different or having trouble getting up?

2- How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's walking slow and arched back. Difficult getting up
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, I am sorry for the delay in response I was offline by the time you came back.

How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
100 pounds
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, when a dog is arching the back this is a sign of abdominal or back pain. The fact that he is having trouble getting up I am inclined to believe it is back pain. A very common cause could be a pinched nerve as a result of a bulging disc. I do understand your financial limitations. But, this is an emergency, untreated this could lead to complete paralysis. I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. If you can not get him today to see a vet you can start him on Buffered Aspirin 325mg 1.5 (one & half) tablet every 12 hours for 1 week. You can buy buffered aspirin over the counter in any pharmacy. The better option is not starting the aspirin and having him checked by a vet to start him on prescription anti inflammatory medication and pain killers.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter