Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our grandsons dog is a 10 year old spaniel mix and we have

Customer Question

Our grandsons dog is a 10 year old spaniel mix and we have to take him to another state with us. He's always with our grandson so he will be separated from him. He seems really sad and I don't want him to get sick but he has to go with us. What can I do
for him
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
E-mail is***@******.***
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now these situations can be particularly difficult for older dogs. Still, to help Jimmy cope with the loss of his close friend and the move, we need to make sure that we are giving him as much distraction as possible. Therefore, we want to make sure we are walking him, playing, and interacting to help keep his mind off the void in his life. Furthermore, we'd also want to consider using a de-stressing treatment to reduce the anxiety this life change will be causing. To do so, we often use Adaptil (http://www.adaptil.com/) This is a synthetic dog pheromone that helps to soothe anxiety and help dogs cope with change. This can be used as a spray (that can be used on furniture or his dog bed) or a plug-in diffuser (that can be used in the room he is in most often). There is even a collar preparation so that he can take the product with him wherever he goes.

As well, there also a diet and treat preparations on the market like Calm by Royal Canin. or Composure. Or we could use a OTC supplement like Kalmaid or Anxitane to help him through this difficult time. And since these are not drugs per say, they can be used in any combination as needed.

Overall, Jimmy will be facing a major life change here. Still, we can ease this for him and help him through the adjustment period using the above and giving him lots of attention and things to do while he settles into his new life.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )