Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog was on prednisone days. She finished her dosage

Customer Question

My dog was on prednisone for 10 days. She finished her dosage yesterday and is still panting, drinking a lot and frequent urinating and restless. Her ears are red inside now. How long does the side affects last. Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Unfortunately the effects of oral steroids can resolve within 48 hours or take up to a week to taper. Every pet is a little different

It can vary depending on the dose of the steroids administered, length used, and how quickly the dose is tapered. I have had some dogs that the effects really do take 2+ weeks to completely subside

I wish I had more succinct information for you as for how long it takes for the symptoms to subside, the hope is that they will slowly taper in severity over the next few days and then be gone within the week but there is no guarantee

In general I would say I see effects tapering by 48 hours after the last dose and gone within 7-14 days

I hope this information is helpful and not frustrating to you! Please let me know how else I can assist you tonight. I am online another 15 minutes to clarify any points...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!